This was a ha(n/r)dy guide:
So because I am always losing with UT and keep blaming it on the poor performance of my laptop I was forced to optimise UT. After fiddling with new engines, I discovered that doesn’t make any difference at all.
I logged out of gnome and stopped gdm. With xinit I started a new X(org) server, ran UT and voila: much better performance. But this are waaaay to many steps so I created some scripts to do this for me.
I have two scripts:
*ut *This runs wine and invoked the UT binary
*newscreen *This runs a new xserver without gnome or anything.
I placed both scripts in ~/bin
1 2 3 4
#!/bin/bash wine=`which wine` $wine ~/.wine/drive_c/UnrealTournament/System/UnrealTournament.exe $*
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
#!/bin/bash MINARGS=1 E_NOARGS=70 E_NOTEXE=71 EXECUTABLE=`which $1` NR_OF_SCREENS=`pgrep -x Xorg |wc -l` NEW_SCREEN=$(($NR_OF_SCREENS - 0)) if [ $# -lt $MINARGS ]; then echo "You have to use at least 1 argument in the form of an executable" exit $E_NOARGS fi if [ ! -x "$EXECUTABLE" ]; then echo "The argument should be (the path to) an executable" exit $E_NOTEXE fi xinit $* -- :$NEW_SCREEN > /dev/null
I am especially proud of the newscreen command. I think it’s really nice. Especially because it counts the current number of running xservers. So if it’s only one (usually) it creates :1. If there are more it raises the number.
The commands are used like:
newscreen ut #start ut on a new :1 server newscreen xclock #start xclock on :2